[As promised, here’s a peek at the what went into making the Spera short, “Steamed Horror”, with some notes for whoever’s interested in that sort of thing.]
1: Josh’s script for the page, with some notes on it. When first talking about doing a short together, I think my only suggestion for the story was something along the lines of “make it steampunk!”, which Josh totally pulled off effortlessly.
2: Thumbnail chicken scratching. This is the least-effort kind of thumbnail, just making sure everything will fit on the page and the character placements aren’t totally messing things up.
3: Pencils. Most of the time I’ll pencil 3 or 4 pages at a time and then turn to inking those. Since this story was shorter, I was able to pencil the whole thing before going to inks, which was interesting. There was a bit of adjusting and tightening up happening as I went back to the earlier pages, which I think helped solidify the thing.
4: Inks, my favorite part. Also, at this point I’ll usually do letters to see how the thing is coming together. For those interested, the font used is Blambot’s ZapRaygun-somethingsomething.
5: We wanted to do something different for this short’s coloring, and we settled on these gray textures that, hopefully, make this steampunk city look gritty and grimy. In this step, I’ve just laid down the base texture, which I think is a scan of some wrapping paper. It’s become my habit to scan anything that’ll fit into my scanner. After this, shading and lighting was done on a separate layer on top of this texture.
To see what the final page came out looking like, go read the entire story on the Spera website. We hope you dig this story as much as we do.
Added bonus: The first (and only) sketch I did when we settled on steampunk being the theme for this short — also just an excuse to give Pira a new jacket.
- bohemianartlabs likes this
- maxxiantu likes this
- swrd-play reblogged this from milonogiannis
- swrd-play likes this
- drooliasnott reblogged this from milonogiannis and added:
- thewhitejimkelly likes this
- thesoundofrust reblogged this from milonogiannis
- sunanoumi likes this
- jakewyattriot likes this
- jaywalkingly likes this
- sibilantx likes this
- otanocnaz likes this
- hatcatmagic likes this
- drawinginspirashun reblogged this from milonogiannis
- jetpackbraggin likes this
- wasabipunk likes this
- snapeplissken likes this
- infinitygred likes this
- rascalthecat reblogged this from mendelpalace
- mendelpalace reblogged this from milonogiannis
- kawoshinamvs likes this
- repoghost likes this
- skillful1991 likes this
- monster-aleks likes this
- ericscottpfeiffer likes this
- atpen likes this
- christopherkardambikis likes this
- stutterhug likes this
- kingcooljerk reblogged this from milonogiannis
- shizukasmack reblogged this from milonogiannis
- shizukasmack likes this
- kunsti likes this
- steinerfrommars likes this
- thehurricanekid reblogged this from joshtierney
- lagubeko likes this
- hopejackalope likes this
- aggroscene likes this
- abagelin reblogged this from joshtierney
- strongconqueror likes this
- 8bitmaximo likes this
- sugarxoxoshit reblogged this from joshtierney
- joshtierney reblogged this from milonogiannis
- joshtierney likes this
- boysfantasy likes this
- stuphunuu-muved reblogged this from dandelionjourney
- saicoink likes this
- sachlikes reblogged this from milonogiannis
- ryanmaticka likes this
- nsumida likes this
- mmhj said:Really awesome seeing the entire process.